A group of teenagers occupy a ridge of the Northern Forts, Karosta, Latvia. April, 2019.
Karosta (War Port) is a neighbourhood in the north of Leipaja, Western Latvia, on the Baltic Sea.
The Northern Forts were built by imperial Russia from the end of the 19th Century to the beginning of the 20th Century to provide defences to Leipaja’s naval base. In 1908 Tsar Nicholas II gave approval for the fortress to be destroyed, part of the cannon were transferred to the fortifications at Kaunas, Lithuania or melted down. Attempts were made to destroy the gun batteries and underground fortifications, but attempts were unsuccessful. Their remains line the coastline, to be reclaimed by the elements.